Beef Short Rib Braising:
4-6 bones of beef short ribs
⅓ cup canola oil
½ cup celery, chopped
2 ½ cup cooking onions, chopped
5 medium sized carrots, chopped
½ 13-oz can tomato paste
8 clove garlic, chopped and peeled
1 bottle wine (merlot)
3 sprig fresh thyme
1 cup (8-oz) beef gravy
½ bay leaf
8 cup beef stock
salt and pepper to taste
1. With a sharp knife carefully cut short ribs between the bones into individual portions.
2. Coat the short ribs with marinade and set aside in fridge for 4 hours.
3. Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
4. Remove ribs from rib.
5. Place braising pot on stove. Add oil and then warm over high heat until sizzling.
6. Being mindful of the sizzling oil, carefully place the marinated short ribs in pot. Using tongs, sear all
sides of meat. Once the outside of ribs are well browned, remove them from pot and set aside.
7. Reduce heat to medium. Add carrots, celery, and onions to pot until lightly browned for about 5
minutes; with a wooden spoon stir frequently to prevent burning.
8. Add tomato paste and garlic to pot. Cook and stir for an additional 3 minutes.
9. Add wine to pot, stirring and scraping bottom with wooden spoon.
10. Add remaining ingredients to pot and then bring to a boil. Once the pot has boiled, turn off heat
and return meat to pot.
11. Cover pot with foil, remove from stove and place in oven.
12. Cook at 300 degrees Fahrenheit for 3 hours.
13. Take pot out of oven. Using cooking tongs, gently remove ribs from pot and set aside.
14. Allow liquid in pot to cool at room temperature for 15-20 minutes. As the liquid rests, a layer of fat
will form at the top. Carefully skim layer of fat from the top.
15. Using a strainer, transfer the liquid from the braising pot to a baking or serving dish by carefully
pouring it out. Thicken with cornstarch to desired thickness.
16. Turn off oven and refrigerate overnight.