WEEK ENDING May 18, 2018
● North American cash cattle markets were primarily lower last week.
● Saskatchewan feeder steer prices were mixed but overall lower with prices ranging from $4.13 per cwt lower to $1.41 per cwt higher over the week.
● Saskatchewan feeder heifer prices were primarily lower in most weight categories with prices ranging between $4.47 per cwt lower and $1.03 per cwt higher over the week. On average, feeder heifer prices declined by almost $2 per cwt over the week.
● Large fed cattle supplies in the U.S over the last two weeks have led to higher fed cattle slaughter numbers pushing fed cattle prices lower.
● Alberta fed steer prices declined $11.54 per cwt last week to average $146.23 per cwt.
● U.S. feeder cattle futures prices were mixed but primarily lower over the week with prices moving lower week-over-week. The May contract declined US$6.200 per cwt. The August contract declined US$6.275 per cwt to settle Friday at US$137.625 per cwt.
● U.S. nearby live cattle futures prices were also mixed but primarily lower over the week with the June contract declining US$5.225 per cwt; while the August contract declined US$6.200 per cwt to settle Friday at US$98.225 per cwt.
● U.S. weekly choice beef cutout prices increased US$1.33 per cwt or 0.6 per cent last week to average US$231.94 per cwt.
Cattle prices updated with Recent Market information
This information is provided as a resource by Saskatchewan Agriculture staff.
All stated cattle prices are based on the weekly Canfax Market Outlook and Summary. Please use this information at your own risk