I have told y’all over and over. My wife and I love cooking as a team in the kitchen. We stumbled on this Italian Wedding Soup recipe that we really love.
FOR THE MEATBALLS:
• 1 large egg
• 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
• 2 teaspoons of sage
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 3/4 lb lean ground beef
• 1/2 lb sweet or hot Italian sausage, removed from the casings
• 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
• 1/3 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
FOR THE SOUP:
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 medium yellow onion, diced
• 2 large carrots, diced
• 2 stalks celery, diced
• 6 cups high-quality chicken broth
• 4 cups high-quality beef broth
• 1/2 cup dry white wine (optional)
• 1 bay leaf
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
• 1 cup small pasta such as dittalini
• 3 cups fresh spinach, stems trimmed and roughly chopped
• Parmigiano Reggiano, for serving
Begin by making the meatballs. In a large bowl, mix egg with the chives, sage, and garlic. Add the ground beef, sausage, cheese, breadcrumbs, and salt. Mash with hands until evenly combined. Roll the meat mixture into tablespoon-size balls and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes at 350 degrees, or until lightly browned and cooked through. Set aside.
To make the soup, heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, and celery. Cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are softened. Add chicken & beef broth, wine, bay leaf, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil. Add pasta and cook, uncovered, at a gentle boil until the pasta as they say in Italian al dente. Reduce the heat to low and add spinach and the meatballs you cooked earlier.
Simmer for a few minutes, until the spinach is wilted and the meatballs are warmed through. Grab you favorite soup bowl, ladle, & and serve with grated Parmigiano Reggiano.
Guess what, it’s eatin time!!!